Friday, August 1, 2008

Heart vs. Brain: To Drill or Not to Drill and T. Boone Pickens



For the few people that read this blog- my apologies. I have been MIA for way too long. Part of the reason is that I have been on vacation for a while. The other reason is I have been at a loss as to what I can write. This last month, I have been struggling with my beliefs pertaining to off-shore drilling. I promised that I wouldn’t bring politics into this blog but on this issue I feel like I need to bc it can help you understand where I am coming from. So here is where I stand- I am a liberal when it comes to social issues. That’s my heart. But my Brain, well it's a bit different. It's conservative. SO my heart is a liberal and my brain is a conservative. My heart tells me- no drilling - what if there is an oil spill- think of all the animals that could be affected etc... think of all the toxic chemicals that are released during drilling- which some experts have said can remain in the environment long after the drilling is complete.
Oh, But my head says...are you crazy, look at the price of gas. Look how dependent we are on foreign oil. We need to explore our own resources- Our economy needs a break- Will drilling bring relief- yes it will. But the question is for how long? And I think the answer is: not long enough.
So, do I think we should drill? Yes, I think I do. And I am slightly embarrassed because this is an environmental blog, but I hope I will be forgiven. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be looking for other options. If you haven’t been living under a rock in the last months then no doubt you have heard of T. Boone Pickens. I like what Mr. Pickens has to say. Yes, there are some flaws with his plan but I think its def something that our government should look into. If you haven’t checked out his "plan" yet- please do so at http://www.pickensplan.com/theplan/

No comments: